Monday, August 23, 2010

San Francisco Street Vendor Food Fest


This past weekend was the must anticipated Street Vendor Food Festival held in the heart of the Mission (Folsom Street between 24th & 26th and surrounding areas) where various vendors, restaurants, trucks, carts, and the like provided small bites, larger bites and complimenting beverages exposing the public to innovative fusions and creative experimental signature dishes. I don't know if I would necessarily qualify myself as a big'ol foodie, however I do love to eat, and when I try something new (and often) I tend to form a strong opinion about what I just tasted right off the bat, thus I spent much of my Saturday here stuffing my face.
The place was super packed with lines crowding the streets, local performers, beer gardens, and a plethora of local hipsters adorning roof tops, sidewalks, and front porches licking their fingers, whipping their mouths, and boozing it up. Here are the highs and lows of what we tried, what we loved, and what didn't blow us away.

Our first order was the best by far. We got a small Tamale bite to start, then a "Metallica" and "Whiplash" from Brass Knuckle: A "Metallica" is basically a roasted pork and ham sandwich with melted Swiss cheese and herbs between two rosemary belgium waffles (not buns)!! It was really yummy. They served it with a watermelon mint cooler, or "Whiplash" as they call it, which is basically watermelon juice with jalapeno and basil. That too was really delicious. Brass Knuckle is a traveling vendor, so unfortunately the best booth by far was one that we can't dine at here in the City, what a big tease!

Our next stop was pretty mediocre, we tried the flank skirt steak kabob, a fire stick (pepper) and lime-cooler. (Not so great, chewy, bleh.) I believe this was from Water and Flour. However the stand next to it was serving $2 pulled porksandwiches that rocked. Over on Treat Street we tried a lemon-cookie ice cream from Three Twins Ice Cream in Lower Haight which was to DIE FOR!!! It was so good we had to pick up a pint the following day on our way home. Three Twins serves organic gourmet stuff all over the city, and some of their flavors included peanut butter chocolate and seasonal peach, Thank you Jesus!

Lastly, we craved something salty towards the end and tried some fried chicken and grilled corn on the cob (since the asian tacos and gourmet smores' were all sold out) which was pretty juicy and the spices very tasty. But then again, how wrong can you go with fried chicken? Am I right?

Other items that we didn't get to but might have had better luck with and looked great this year included a meatball sandwich, those asian tacos and gourmet smores' I mentioned, a honey cola, bbq'd ribs, and funnel cake...
Well there you have it, my first experience attending the Street Vendor Food Festival
in San Francisco, a City known for its innovative and delicious cuisine, organic, and culturally dynamic plates. I ain't no food critic despite depositing my two cents over on yelp. But thought I'd document the experience if only to savor the memories of tasting, smelling, and romancing the memories of the yummy and diverse food we had enjoyed.
For more information and future times and dates for this particular event, A listing of all sponsors and participating vendors or items, I would visit www.sfstreetfoodfest.com.













No comments:

Post a Comment